Friday 4 May 2012

Dry Box / Fish Box

I have just got the new Ultra 4.7 that I have been wanting for a while now so with a morning off work, I decided to start getting it ready for its maiden launch.
I bought a Vittels pet food container that I have seen other kayakers use as a live bait and dry box. One thing this meant was I could also add rod holders to the side for extra storage.
First of all I fixed an eyelet inside the lid.
This was stainless steel with all fixings also being marine grade stainless, for obvious reasons. Next was to fit another eyelet inside the box and tied some cord to both that and the lid. I took this opportunity to minimise drilling holes and fix back to back eyelets so that the box could be secured to the kayak later.

Back to back eyelets.
Next up was to fit the rod holders, they were positioned and marked out and simply bolted in place.
The elastic straps were then attached to the front of the box and clips tied to the end of this for fixing to the kayak. I then made the final fixing by bolting on another eyelet at the back so the box would be secured from all sides, again the elastic and clips were fitted.

Then a final view of it attached to the kayak. The total cost was around £40, I have also now fitted a handle for easier transport as it is also useful for carring your other equipment down to the shore or in my case, down the road where to where my kayak is stored.
Where to get Vittels box
http://www.rlpetproducts.co.uk/store/horses/brands/vittlesvault/ - £20 delivered
White tube rod holders I rang this place
http://www.lymetackle.com/ - £3.99 each
Stainless eyelets from here (pack of 10)
http://www.h2okayaks.com/engine/shop/product/c12271/Stainless+Steel+Pad+Eyes+%28Pack+10%29 - £6.95
Stainless m5 screws (bolts)
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?fh_search=m5+bolts - £2-3
I also got the elastic and carabiners from H2o kayaks (same as the stainless pad eyes) - £5-6

And it still leaves you with extra bits to use else where!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ryan,

    What is the volume of the Vittels box? I can't find anything like it in Aus, so was looking at an alternative but was wondering about the size.

    Thanks for the info and the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is around 50 litres. Thats completly full, so probably only be able to use 45 of that.
    In terms of dimensions it is 40cm High, 46cm in Depth and 31cm Wide. I see plenty of US dealers, just none in Aus.

    Hope this helps and would be good to see what you come up with.
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete