Saturday 28 July 2012

Finally a Break in the Weather

Well, after a 'busy' and not so sober week away in Rhodes, combined with the typical English weather and work commitments I managed to get out of Lyme Regis on Sunday the 22nd of July... Almost 2 MONTHS since my last trip. The plan was purley Bass and I only took out plugs. I set off around 4 in the afternoon after getting back from a mates birthday in Bristol.
The water was like a mirror and the water was crystal clear so it was screaming Bass! I did the mile and a bit paddle to a secluded bay, to a mark i've had good success from before. It wasn't long for the Bass to start showing and I crept up on them in the kayak. It must be said this is a huge advantage over boats as countless times the fish have disapeared as soon as a boat heads towards me.
I was watching them swim around the yak and the first Bass slashed at my surface lure (I'm afraid the name of this lure is a secret on this occassion, I got given these and was sworn to secrecy!!!) In fact, it hit the lure 6 times before eventually hooking up! It came in around 2lb followed by a couple more the same size. I went round the bay when that died off to hook into a few more small bass in the shallows, it was litterally a foot deep!

I soon realised the bay was teaming with these school Bass so a quick paddle to shore for a loo break and a bite to eat while I thought about where to go next... As it happened I was just into more small Bass and ended the night with around 20 and kept 2.

The next night on Monday (Two days in a row now!) was a rush home from work and got out on the water around 6.30. Met a friend out there that had never caught a Bass so the mission was to get him atleast one. Things were slow and all the small boats didn't get any all night but we ended up with 3 each, both getting two around 2lb and one around a pound. Think he's now caught the Bass bug! I lost a couple bigger ones this night, but they were hooked in the shallows and slashing around on the surface, and two threw the hook. A shame but this is normally the case when they thrash around on the surface as they have nowhere to run! Again these were caught within casting distance of the shore. Not only was it a good fish but ended up covering around 4-5 miles on some pretty stunning coastline.


Then it was fresh caught Bass for tea!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ryan,

    Excellent report and fishing. I am still seaching for my first Bass this year. Feel a bit demoralised after catching some good fish last year. Sea conditions and weather(wind)seem to let me down. I may get up at 4am tomorrow (Monday 30th)to try to break the duck. I have a week off but the wind may be a problem again this week.

    Cheers.

    Sam.

    ReplyDelete